Mining from my laptop

Hi everyone, I apologize if I come across as an idiot, I am not familiar with coding and not extremely technical, yet want to start mining cryptocurrency and specifically Safex.

Following a guide on this forum I have tried to start mining using xmrig from github (v.5.5.4). I run Windows 10 and followed the general steps of aussiesloth, but seem to be unable to connect to a pool.
Either it says unable to connect or it says I have to specify the algorithm I want to use plus what coin I want to mine.

I was wondering if anyone knew what the hell I have been doing wrong?
Any help or response would be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

Hey there, there is a category for “Mining” questions on this forum that just deals with mining. If you don’t get any answers here try there, they will help you for sure, they are good people. Just go to Categories on the menu and click on mining, they will walk you through it. I hope this was helpful, I’m new too, Good luck.

2 Likes

As per the walkthrough, you need to enter the relevant info into the config.json

You need to edit the file and make the necessary changes.

If the download from xmrig doesn’t include the config.json file, you need to create it with notepad, but when you save it, change from the .txt extension in the file type to (star-dot-star) so it saves as a .json, not a .txt

The generic xmrig config.json info can be found at https://github.com/xmrig/xmrig/blob/master/src/config.json

Then you need to make changes as per…

3 Likes

Thank you for your quick response, I appreciate it. While I was struggling with this method I tried to use one of the other guides you wrote, the one using safexcore, and after spending a while syncronizing I do believe I got it up and running using 4 threads. For your specific advice on this problem I did change the json file, but it would not connect to any pools. After using the safexcore I was no longer able to run the xmrig file, not sure if I messed it up, but if the safexcore method works I guess it does not matter. Probably I will have to switch to the 1 click mining app once its up and running, as it feels as if I am over my head.

Again thank you very much for your help!

1 Like

Solo mining via safexcore will give you mathematically (probability-wise) the same amount of SFX in the longterm, but you may go for long periods without seeing any results, simply because of the probability of your node finding a block (Percentage chances: your hashrate vs network hashrate).

With pool mining, you work as a team with other pool members, so see the returns more frequently, although in smaller amounts.

Running safexcore (safexd) also means you’re a node operator… you are now part of the global infrastructure for the decentralised Safex network. Be sure to stay updated with project developments, as you’ll need to update your safexcore program with each new release (eg. MP launch will require you to update to the latest version)

2 Likes

Sorry to be of bother again, I have been running the safexcore for a while now. However, I do have a notification saying : WARNING: no two valid SafexPulse DNS checkpoint records were received. While safexcore certainly use a proportional amount of my CPU, I an unsure if I am actually mining or not. Searching online for this reveals very little. Is there anything I have been doing wrong here?

Yeah, that warning is commonly seen on safexd and not an issue to be concerned about.

Type help for a list of node commands.

The main one to use is status which will give you the most useful info.

1 Like

ahh, thank you very much, appears to be mining at about 900 h/s on 5 threads. From what I gathered it is not a lot, but eventually I should see some results in the safex orbiter wallet I assume.
Again, thank you very much for your help.

With node mining, it will actually display in the safexd window when you find blocks, in addition to having the SFX arrive in the address you’re mining to.

At the current network hashrate of ~5.3 mhs, your 900 hash should on average find 1 block in every ~5900 blocks. At 720 blocks/day, that is a block per 8-ish days.

As network hashrate goes up, your probability decreases, and conversely, it increases if the network hashrate drops lower. It does fluctuate as people turn their rigs/computers on and off.

Now, having said you should find 1 block every 8 days, that is the mathematical probability… you may not find a block for longer than that, or you may find one in the next 5 minutes. There’s just no telling when you’ll hit one.

But over the longterm, you’ll hit about your percentage of network contributions.

2 Likes