Services/trading on the Marketplace

Is anyone familiar with the way contracts will be designed in the marketplace? I’m not a programmer or dev so if (especially to devs/programmers) my question sounds ignorant it probably is. Anyways, as I understand it, there can be smart contracts that can use just about any iot device, I just have a few questions:

1. Iot devices can endanger privacy if they are privately owned and don’t obscure their physical location, which is really the only benefit of using iot for verification of receipt of services or products. Private keys/addresses would have to be exchanged in order for iot device to be verified via blockchain, and including any of that information as is on the blockchain would also endanger privacy. Will there be a private/encrypted layer of information to be included in transactions on the blockchain? Or are smart contracts not going to use iot devices?

2. Providing services like counseling, the production of art, music, etc, can all reveal identity just by the nature of the product itself. Is there any mechanism proposed to assist with this? Or is it just something that is expected to be at the discretion of the seller?

Hi @Collectivenectar

Not sure how IOT devices relate to the Safex Marketplace. I think this is something else entirely. Smart Contracts are just a buzz term for a programmable transcation on the chain. It seems like some projects use “smart contracts” to manage IOT devices, but such devices are not an aspect of Safex.

There will be a method of being able to communicate data privately via PGP encryption - there is a short section on this in the blue paper. This would be used to communicate private information such as name and address.

As for providing services - certainly, this is an aspect that will be implemented. The gig economy is a huge market for Safex to tap into, especially cross border services.

The team will be producing suite of different tools and protocols for developers to utilize the Safex blockchain to perform transactions, handle payments for services etc, conditions etc. More details will come out on this as things progress.

5 Likes

Thank you! Is there a repository of information aside from this forum and the social media accounts? I have more questions and I don’t want to load up the forums with posts that have questions that cover topics in different sections.

As an addon, if there isn’t a repository, is there a certain group of people on this forum that can be trusted to provide accurate information about the plans of the project? I figure the title next to usernames is useful, but I’m new here and just want to be sure I’m not making decisions about involvement based on speculative information.

You’re an admin, which I know would make you an authority on the forum and probably more involved in the project, so no disrespect intended, I’ve just found it’s better to be sure of who’s actually getting information from the developers or ‘mgmt’

1 Like

The privacy aspects is related mainly to your money balance, and its virtual location in the blockchain. This is how hackers find you, because of how much $$ you have and the behavior of addresses.

The process of buying and selling things will always have some physical in the world element: shipping address for example. There are other items like virtual goods which would be able to be fully anonymously purchased. Also disputing a transaction could lead to some elements of de-anonymization to a third party if an arbiter or mediator of the issue, such as a on chain or a real life court (etc). The reputation system should alleviate most frauds and therefore simple drop boxes can be used to receive goods maintaining your person safety.

Using the marketplace will require only the users to sign a structured message which interacts with the safex blockchain. The safex blockchain is one massive smart contract we program to interact with the various elements of purchasing and dispute resolution.

No device would ever need to collect your private key to accomplish, including wallets and any node. The user simply produces the contents and the verification is completed with the public cryptography process afterwards across all nodes of the network.

5 Likes

I run https://safexnews.net/ which has various articles, guides, etc, on Safex and it’s development. I also have a statistics/tools website https://tools.safexnews.net/ which is mostly focused on the new blockchain.

But if you have any more questions please don’t hesitate to ask on the forums. It might be that we dont have the answer to your question in an article, and having it answered here in the forums is a useful resource for later!

There are also many respected members in the forums who are willing to answer the questions. If the answers are incorrect, the admins/staff will correct where needed.

3 Likes

Thank you for the thorough response - I read the blue paper and it is clear about most of the details you mentioned - Reason for my questions being I do a form of consulting and I wondered how well I would be able to use a system like this in full anonymity.

So just the transaction itself is what’s obscured - the communication between buyers and sellers is also obscured, and the receipt of those goods at a physical location is verified via the reputation system.

So if I understand correctly, when using the marketplace with the intention of having maximum privacy, more anonymity is available when one is selling goods and services that are less traceable, like virtual works performed, 3d printed goods, etc and the seller must use individual discretion when selling other types of goods, finding another way to protect identity when selling things like social services, hand made goods, physical labor, creative works, etc.

Would this mean for the more traceable goods and services that trust beyond the reputation system becomes necessary?

I know it might sound like I’m being extreme, because I’m thinking of extreme cases and your average individual wouldn’t go through the trouble to identify an individual like this, but I figure this day and age I can be identified by google just by the settings on my mobile phone - if I want to use safex for privacy long term as a tool for self employment, there are pretty stringent requirements to maintain anonymity if I didn’t want to get taxed for that income, which would be, for me, a major benefit of using safex extensively long term. Obviously that issue has more to do with MY current government, not the intentional design of safex. And the fact that I do consulting, a line of work that makes anonymity more difficult to achieve. I.e. my problem not yours haha.

Thank you rich.bate, I will start digging and if I still have questions I will bring them here - I appreciate your help!

Btw, I’ve gone into forums with a few other blockchain projects and I had some bad experiences - lots of misinformation and mgmt was only releasing information periodically - trolls, pr people trying to help but being argumentative and reactionary, so I jumped to conclusions about this forum and the way the business is run. Thanks again for the help :slight_smile:

The goal of safex is not to make an illegal tax free marketplace, but a place where people can shop in the Internet without concern that their private data is spread around and maybe used against them.

Companies should always pay their taxes, the government doesn’t need to know to whom they sold it, but using safex marketplace for illegal tax avoidance is a crime that could endanger you personally and the reputation of safex. I would not buy from any company that I know of working illegally.

3 Likes

Using safex marketplace should be attractive because there you can sell with way lower fees than Amazon or eBay take.

I agree, the government doesn’t need to know who I sell to, and if I’m operating a business that is licensed in a country that taxes income then I can see how it would be negative publicity for safex if I were caught doing business without reporting income.

I dont expect a government like mine would appreciate the difference between tax evasion and privacy though, as it’s up to both the buyer and seller to report the transaction amounts made on the marketplace, and there is no incentive (that I know of) for either to do so. Wouldn’t safex ‘appear’ to a government as a likely marketplace to monitor for tax evaders? If I were a legitimate business that reported my income, I would also have to avoid selling to buyers that don’t report their purchases when filing taxes. How would either party know if the other pays their taxes?

It seems I really don’t understand what the end product looks like - Either that or this product will attract the eye of many governments (the ones that tax at least) no matter what the original intended use of it is, and every individual that uses it can potentially be monitored and identified if they don’t take heavy precautions.

If I’m off the deep end, help me understand here.