Building first mining rig and having issues

Hey all,

Following instructions on the plug and play miner build, and having a bit of a road bump with final steps. NO DISPLAY. Anybody else having issues with ASRock b450M and Ryzen 9 3900x compatibility? I’m not able to get any BIOS screen to work with, and trying to figure out how to update bios without a running system… Anybody have a work around, that doesn’t require another compatible cpu to get bios running?

4 Likes

3900X has no graphics built in. If you temporarily drop a GPU into the rig and plug in a monitor, you should be able to see bios, etc.

4 Likes

Ok so am I going to need to keep a gpu on hand for the initial setup of more rigs, and/or trouble shooting? Or is there an updated buildout list available?

4 Likes

Having a gpu on hand for the initial setup will be useful. Then remove it once the rig is configured, etc.

I’ve recently gone with X570 mobos specifically so I don’t have to do the mandatory bios update (I’ll still check for updates, as normal). But I’ll still drop a gpu in temporarily during setup.

I just grabbed a cheap GT710 to have on hand during setups.

And depending on your specific mobo, you may or may not be able to flash the bios without a compatible cpu in there.

4 Likes

Thanks so much for your prompt replies sloth! I was able to throw in a pcie card and the display popped right up! Didn’t end up having to do the bios upgrade, was just lost when the thing powered up, but nothing was happening. Appreciate your insight on the X570 as well, as I do plan on building more very soon. Long story short… I’m mining! Last question… Do I have to use the bios to tweak the performance on the rig? Or is there another way to optimize performance?

6 Likes

Glad to hear you’re up and running. Unfortunately, bios tweaks for mining improvements are beyond the scope of my knowledge. Maybe someone else with more knowledge can chip in with a response :crossed_fingers:

6 Likes

@zaza congrats on getting your rig up and running!

in the second place, I didn’t expect anyone to need to do bios update, you should be good to go.

The thing is you didn’t need a display, if you turned it on, and went to the next steps of navigating to it from another computer on the same network you would find the configuration page.

Neat that you’re online!!!

2 Likes

Thanks Dan! Happy to be on board with such an amazing project!! Couldn’t have done it without your guide! I realized I didn’t need to do anything with the bios AFTER I was able to find it on Angry Scanner. I didn’t realize everything was remote viewable via the pool so I was stuck thinking something was wrong with the hardware… We live and we learn! One question that I still have… are there any additional modifications that can be done, to optimize performance for the cpu? Or is this thing running optimally with default settings?

3 Likes

Maybe it’s just AU stock, but my supplier gives the following warning on the 3900X page.

4 Likes

@zaza congratulations on your miner progress, mine is still in the rapper. I hope to take a class or sumpin l! Inspiration.

3 Likes

Thanks Shaz! It wasn’t too complicated. I was able to source everything on amazon, which arrived in one box. Put it all together, and it was working… just didn’t know at first! :sweat_smile:

Just follow this guide word for word!

The only thing that was different from my experience, was on the Angry Scanner step, my rig didn’t show up as “sfxrig000”… it just said “n/a”. So it took me a few guesses. Apart from that, the only thing that would have been cool if it was included in the guide, is how to configure the color of the led before you start mining! :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Thank you for the info, I will give it another go.

4 Likes

@shazbot, would you like a live tutorial of me assembling a rig?

6 Likes

Thank you for the offer, we know your time is valuable. A tutorial would be great.
Specifically:

1. Setting the CPU to cooling unit with the heat sink paste. (this stopped me in my tracks).

2. Everything to do with the modem, connection, type most preferred, etc. ( I’m willing to upgrade modem).

3. How to download the info to the miner, where to plug in wires. (how to make it work).

4. Any tips you have on the way will be appreciated for a beginner including simple terminology.

I’m sure I’m not the only one that will use this valuable information.
Your time will not be wasted. I can help my hesitant friends once I get up and running.
Thank you @dandabek.

4 Likes

I’m setting up my mining rig and my scanner says the same thing " n/a" . When I try to google the IP address it takes me to a screen that asks for username and password but it wont allow me to move forward from that screen after entering in the information. Would love somebodies help with finishing the setup process.

1 Like

Hey @dannyblacck is this the login screen you’re getting?

This is what pops up. I figured out the username & password but not really sure what to do from here

1 Like

My initial thoughts are that you’re keying in the wrong ip from angry scanner… You should just get a password prompt, exactly like the one in the pic above. Only asking for a password (sfxrig)

I tried all the IP addresses on Angry and none of them take me to that screen. I have a feeling the scanner isn’t picking up my rig but I’ve done all the steps over & over for the past 2 weeks and still nothing.

1 Like

It’s going to be one of the ip’s listed under ports 80,443 on angry scanner… The ip for the screen you’re seeing is most likely to your router. The rig is plugged in, running, and connected to a functioning port on your ethernet, correct?