SFXOS: Safex Cash mining operating system support

Very detailed and well structured article! Great job!

8 Likes

Perfect! Well explained, with pics… Thank you!

3 Likes

I am considering buying the components from this tutorial to set up 1 rig. Is it better to be in a pool or go solo? Also, how much daily/weekly SFX does one obtain with such a rig?

3 Likes

If you’re following the walkthrough, then you’ll be pool mining.

Mathematically, returns should the same… on average. And with pool.safex.org having a 0% pool fee, there’s no loss to the pool.

SFX returns will vary, depending on overall network hashrate. Returns are again just a pro rata share of total.

I believe at current hashrates, it’s about 100 SFX per day for the rig specified, but it will fluctuate (lower as network hashrate increases, and vice versa).

4 Likes

that’s right, mining to a pool will only make sure you get something consistently.

When solo mining over time it should average close to the same, but for example in solo mining you might go days without any blocks mined, but then some days multiple blocks found.

5 Likes

I got all parts gathered & installed as per instructions got to the angry IP no issues found the sfxrig-000 when I entered ip got 404 not found created a zone in ESET Internet Security allowed me to log in and enter my wallet address and submit, after one hour no HR, logged back in address saved, update, my browser on 3 computers I use ESET, seems to not allow me to update the USB config file, pulled ESET off one computer, however, seems to have something to do with the fact ESET was on the Chrome account don’t know, The workaround for temp purpose figured out by @sharan he had me save a config file on C drive then open with SSH modifying the USB (short version), then starting the rig with /sfxrig/xmrig/xmrig -c /sfxrig/xmrig/config.json

5 Likes

If you have issues with your rig not connecting all the time, just turn your router off and then on. I had an issue where my rig status would be a red X instead of the green check, and this simple fix corrected it.

3 Likes

I have an issue where when there is an interruption in internet service, even for less than 1 second, the rig will go offline. I have to reboot or power cycle my router in order to get it back online. All of my other devices (which are wifi) connect back seamlessly. The router (hardwired to the router) will not reestablish a network connection until the reboot or power cycle of the router. I believe I have issues with the the modem or my ISP, but regardless, is there a way to program something in the SFXOS to reestablish the link online if there is an interruption in the internet service or power? For me, I have to reboot or power cycle 5-6 times a day. I know others have to reset on a regular basis, but not as frequently as me (which is why I am replacing my modem to see if there is a difference and I have a work ticket started at my ISP).

2 Likes

Just want to confirm whether it is a router connected to another router, or a router connected to a simple modem.

If it is a router connected to another router, and they both have dhcp enabled, then that may be the root cause of the issue.

3 Likes

@babell16 if this is resolved would be good to know your experience

2 Likes

I did resolve this through connectivity hardware. The modem that I had would briefly lose connectivity throughout the day (for like < 1 sec). I replaced it and the new modem does not lose connectivity. So I am able to continuously mine now. Whereas before I would have to reboot my router to reestablish connectivity to the rig 6-8 times per day. Not sure anyone else experiences this type of issue when they lose connectivity from a modem. When this happened, all of my other devices connected to the router (wifi) could reconnect automatically. Only the rig caused me to perform a reboot.

4 Likes

Well, I am again having issues with my rig, now rigs, staying online (which means status green check). My rigs are the ones from the tutorial. Only difference is one has a B450 motherboard while the other has the tutorial B450M. I had the original stay online for about a week in a row. I then installed a 2nd rig and was trouble shooting it. Put the RAM for rig 1 into rig 2, which made rig 2 work. Then when I put the ram back in rig1 I started having connectivity issues again. Now I have both rigs up, but they don’t stay online for more than 4 hours. And now one rig will stay up while one will be down. So I am ruling out modem, router, and ISP. And I did change modem’s last week which I thought helped. Maybe that was coincidence. I think now it’s either the motherboard or SFXOS. And I noticed in the pool my rig stays online and I see last share submitted 1 minute, 2 minutes, etc. When it gets to 10 minutes the rig goes offline (which means status red X). Any thoughts? What would cause a rig to go offline? Is there anything in SFXOS or the pool that would cause this? It seems like when my hash rate gets low that it will eventually go offline. When I am hashing about 8 kH/s it’s smooth sailing.

2 Likes

The issue was solved through help in discord. Aussiesloth and I read the router manual, he pointed out that Antivirus software can cause issues. Sure enough, the “Infected Device Quarantine” feature quarantined my rigs and was kicking them offline. The alerts log showed it was intercepting Misc Cryptocurrency Monero Mining Activity. So I turned that feature off and have been up and running consistently.

4 Likes

Just to clarify, for the benefit of others, this was AV software running on the @#$& Router :man_shrugging:

Glad we got it sorted @babell16

4 Likes

@#$&ing router is right buddy.

3 Likes

Hey Everybody, I got the rig described by Dan in every respect except the motherboard was just the asrock b450 not the M so no biggie. Still cannot get connected for log in after using Angry IP scanner which is not identifying my sfxrig-000. My internet provider is ATT and they use the combo Arris modem/router and that keeps being picked up as well as direct tv, firestick, our computers in the house etc. I turned off the firewalls on the router and still nothing for the rig. Hey Dan, I’m down in NC, come visit and hook me up hahaha. Want to start mining SFX, any suggestions appreciated.

2 Likes

did you try to connect with direct network cable?

one method you can do is to unplug the hardware and scan it again. (record down all IP)

try to see which IP is newly connected after you replug the hardware back.

1 Like

btw… do you all face a times when using the safex OS, the miner just stop by itself… the xmrig process is running BUT… no CPU usage… have to reboot to fix…

is there anyway it can fix by itself?

1 Like

Others have reported such an issue so far, on my set up I do not experience that

In some cases it was related to the router/network set up internally

1 Like

angry IP scanner never picked up my rigs either. Try to connect to your router via an internet browser. Type in 192.168.0.1 into your browser. Then you can Log into your router. User name is usually admin. Password is normally admin or password. You can google name and password for your particular router. Then you can look around to see if you can identify the IP addresses that it assigned. Very important. Turn off all anti virus software running on the router. That screwed me for two weeks before I figured it out. If you have issues then DM me and we can talk via phone. I’m in the states.

2 Likes