Tutorial: Set up a Safex node on Vultr

Hello Community,

I have written a tutorial on how to set up one (or many) Safex node(s) using Vultr. If you register new via the link in the article, you should receive a free credit of $50 ! Enjoy.

Greetings,
Oliver

Edit:
Update: Now including:

• Troubleshooting commands for synchronization error, screen freeze and killed process due to insufficient RAM.
  • Creation of a server snapshot and import of snapshot in a newly deployed server to host more nodes with a few clicks.

Edit 2:
If you want to run a node from a Google instance, commands are the same but:

• When connecting to your server, you can open the ssh directly via a browser window.
  • In order to have a full node with incoming peers, add a new firewall rule and open all ports for all instances.

Edit 3: In case you have no incoming peers on your nodes at home, open ports 29390-29394 for testnet and ports 17400-17404 for mainnet (thanks, Lomax!).

8 Likes

Great tutorial, would be great to adapt it for a full node on mainnet

Note: bonus tutorial in there how to top up with a mycelium bitcoin wallet :slight_smile:

nice work @cryptooli

7 Likes

Thanks for the kind words, Dan!

That’s a great idea, just let me know how to adapt the tutorial and I am in. Unfortunately, most of us have blown their free credits on Google, Vultr, etc. already but maybe there are some people here who have credits left or are not registered yet (Google gives you $300 credit which is great for a load of nodes. They will shut down your instances if you mine with the credit).

Yeah, I decided to put that little bonus in because I used that too and it works flawless.
(Also added to the tutorial: troubleshooting when something got stuck/frozen and snapshot function to set up more nodes)

6 Likes

Update:
I funded some new instances and have now running 12 nodes each on testnet and mainnet ($60/m). I mainly installed those to help resolving an issue on testnet today. This issue seems to be resolved now. Although, in case some of you were willing to fund me, I would keep the 24 nodes running. You can verify yourselves if all nodes are online on testnet and mainnet. Node IPs are as following:

45.32.166.107 . . . . . 217.69.4.32
139.180.136.85 . . . . 104.238.153.130
108.61.202.248 . . . . 149.28.214.170
45.77.65.194 . . . . . . 45.76.124.189
108.61.206.148 . . . . 202.182.121.43
45.63.11.226 . . . . . . 155.138.132.88

Edit:
Since there was a good amount of new nodes, I have canceled the majority of my instances and have now running 3 left. The testnet has now a good amount of nodes but of course new testnet and mainnet nodes are always fine to have.

4 Likes

Thanks man!

3 Likes

Legendary Oliver, thanks dude.

3 Likes

hey oli,

Would like to add on for home based setup.

I couldn’t get INs status to my block chain at first. With the help from edit 3 and the ports thats in the article,

For a home based setup, you will need to set a NAT forwarding on the router level for those ports to the machine running the node

1 Like