EPYC Miner build discussion

Like what aussie is saying, depends if it’s in a case or not…

But what I was getting at is that, your CPU will be OK with the water cooling but that same cooler will also mean that no air will reach the motherboard, so to be on the safe side to get at least one fan directed at the board. (open case scenario).

Look at this video and do as you think best :slight_smile:

P.S. you don’t want to suck that hot air trough you radiator :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks legends

3 Likes

well my 5950X is running on a Gigabyte A520 Aorus Elite @ 30 threads with 16.2 KH/s without any affinity settings :sweat_smile: if i set the affinity to use only the last 30 threads its mining with 15.7 KH/s :sweat_smile: btw all with XMRig 6.16.2 ^^

3 Likes

third miner built. had same issue as dan with asrock b450 motherboard. resetting the bios by removing battery still wouldn’t solve issue. so returned and got the msi x570 gaming plus. doing the rzen 3900x and getting consistent 11.8 kH/s.
Next miner 5950x…He he he :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

Hi Everybody,
so I’m mining with MSI X570 Gaming Plus with Viper DDR4 2x4GB PC4-25600. Ryzen 3900x. Why is it that I need a graphics card installed to run it?? I didn’t need a graphics card on the older builds using the Asrock B450 Pro4.

2 Likes

I’m running 570 mobos for all three of my 3900x rigs, no gpu needed. (I used one during install, then removed it. I’m not using SFXOS, just a straight Ubuntu OS with xmrig.)

SFXOS- No gpu needed at all, as it auto boots and allows immediate ssh.
Any other OS- you’ll need a gpu at least during install, as the 3900x has no integrated graphics.

2 Likes

You shouldn’t need a GPU, use the headless ubuntu (ubuntu server) or use SFXOS… and I only ever use a GPU for configuration, then I’m done with the GPU and can run it as a server on my network, or altogether skip everything and use SFXOS.

1 Like

Hi, I bought 4 more motherboards to build miners but I ran out of ports for cat5 cables, I watched the video of Dans mining farm and I’m under the assumption he is Wi-Fi mining.
I understand you must configure to boot them ect. I appreciate your patience @dandabek and @aussiesloth with the tutorials on how to build a miner.
This is an official request to tutor on how to mine off of Wi-Fi. Or tell us beginners where to get the information if nothing else.
I have 2 miners up dedicated to SFX and I want to expand.
Thoughts please.
Thank you

2 Likes

@shazbot, I am not using wifi, I have 2 48 port switches, switches can be daisy chained to each other. So you can definitely add more motherboards to your switch that way.

Remember a Switch is different from a Router. You connect one switch to a router and then you can daisy chain switches, or you can connect each switch to the router directly both methods will work.

There are 5 port switches, 8, 16, 24, 32, 48, 64 etc… You can use an “unmanaged” switch which is the usual one.

Even something as simple as this will work https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1016198-REG/tp_link_tl_sg105_5_port_10_100_1000mbps_desktop_switch.html

2 Likes

Yeah, whilst Dan’s setup is huge, mine is pretty simple… off my 4-port router, I run a 16-port switch for the house, and then there’s an 8-port switch in the rig room out in the shed that I connect the 3900x rigs to.

The laptop is the only thing that mines via wifi for me.

And I’ve now got all the 3900x rigs pointed to a RPi running xmrig-proxy, to reduce the network activity from my IP address to the pool, and limit the chance of getting an ‘excessive connections’ type ban from the pool.

1 Like

Exciting, I’ll do some homework.
I’m still recovering from Covid so it will be slow going. I thought I was dead, it turns out I’m just still in California.
Thanks for the response.
Thanks @aussiesloth @dandabek

1 Like

Do you have to leave your lap top on 24/7? To mine? I have a laptop I rarely use, I would like to put it to work!
And the RPi, is this something I should look into?
I apologize for the ignorance, everything I know I learned from you guys, why stop now?

1 Like

If you want the device mining, yes, it needs to be on. My laptop only uses 25% of its cores to mine, due to L3 cache limitations, so it doesn’t really get too hot. I’d be hesitant to mine at 100% cpu load on a laptop, due to the limited cooling capabilities.

The RPi is a microcomputer… and I explained the xmrig-proxy setup (where I used one) here… Using xmrig-proxy for multiple Safex mining rigs

I also used a RPi in this… Building a RaspberryPi Safex Node using SafexNinja Docker

1 Like

figured it out. updating bios did not work but just simply removing the gpu from miner after start up solved the problem. Running smoothly. This also worked on fourth miner with same set up and Msi board, ram, ryzen 3900x, etc.

1 Like

I would caution against pulling cards from a running PC, but if worked for you, great :+1:

1 Like

I just built a miner with a ryzen 7 5800x. 8 core, 16 thread. I’m getting 6.5 to 7 kH/s. Is anybody doing better?

1 Like

Post a pic of the xmrig window start up info, so we can see if anything looks off.

2 Likes

I was averaging 7 KH on the ryzen 7 3700x. I’m much happier with the ryzen 9 3900x rigs. I couldn’t keep the ryzen 7 rigs running steady.

1 Like

so, was using a msi b450M A pro max with the 5800x. The board malfunctiioned within weeks. replaced it with the straight b450 A pro max and performance is up to 8 sometimes close to 9.

need help: built another new miner and it’s mining but the safex mining pool won’t recognize it.
I have done the standard: have found the new ip address, log into sfxrig and added my safex address and named the miner, and nothing. I have tried it several times this week.
Any ideas?